Saturday, August 20, 2005

School Year

The school year is starting up. In addition to my day job, I also teach at nights at a local community college. Some people ask why I teach such a low level class, but I really get a lot from it. I teach a night class, which means that I end up with older people who have never used a computer before or are only just starting out. It is very rewarding to help them to understand what a computer does and how to use various programs (internet, email, word, excel, and powerpoint). It certainly isn't solving world hunger, but I know that in some way I'm making a person's life better, and that is good enough for me.

This school year is also exciting for a few other reasons. First, this is my daughter's Kindergarten year. She is so excited to be going into public school. Her teacher and I went to school together, so it should be a good year for my daughter. Besides, she's a smart girl. I honestly thought about letting her skip Kindergarten b/c she already knows everything they're going to teach her, but I figured there was some maturity that needed to be gained first.

The other reason that this school year is exciting is because it is my wife's last year. In May, she will have graduated with a degree in Nursing and become an RN. I'm very proud of her, going to school and being a mother to two children is very difficult. Moreover, at that point, we will no longer be tied to our current hometown or even our current state. We can choose to move wherever we want. I'm a person that loves possibilities, so May will be a very exciting time as I explore all the possibilities available to me and my family. I'm working hard right now to increase my network of recruters and IT industry people so that I'll have lots of choices when the big day comes. Stay tuned to see what happens!

No comments: