Thursday, August 25, 2005

A Tale of Two Recruiters

Last week I had two recruiters contact me, let's call them Jack and Jill. They were both very nice and professional. When I let them know I wasn't on the market right now, they each had a very different response. Jack responded like I wish telemarketer's would. He left me alone. Jill responded like I think recruiters should, she asked for more information so that she could perhaps help me in the future. I like to make contacts and network, so I graciously answered Jill's questions, but more than that, I felt like Jill was honestly interested in helping me, not just herself. Guess who I'll go to first if I ever need a job? That's right, Jill. By showing interest, she has gathered my support for a longer term relationship. I think that is true for any endeavor, listen, ask questions, take notes. You never know when you might need a bridge built.

No comments: