Sunday, July 10, 2005

The Apprentice

I've taken on an apprentice. I really don't know what to study with him. I've given him the required reading list and told him to spend 1/2 day every week just learning. It will pay off for the company in the long run. I know I will be going over his code with him and I'll also go over my code with him to look for things we like and don't like. I'd also like to find some good examples of source code on the net we could go through. I've heard that Scheme is a Software Masterpiece.

Are there other things I should be teaching him? How do I develop his sense of smell? How do I instill a sense of pride in his work? Skills such as test-driven development are much easier to teach than the intuitive skills required for great coding. It will be a challenge, but I'll report back on how it is going here!

No comments: