Monday, July 11, 2005

Suicide

What causes someone to commit or want to commit suicide. Obviously, it is a loss of hope. They believe that their life will never get any better so death is better than an ongoing life like they currently have. Hope would show the person that better times will come. As I blogged previously, Hope is not just trust in an afterlife, but a belief that you can be a part of God's greater plan. I don't believe that we are part of God's plan. I think God's plan for you is ever changing depending on the decisions you make, but I do think that if you trust in God, he'll give you the best life you are capable of leading from that moment on. If I believed that God had a plan, then I have to believe that those people committing suicide were part of that plan and therefore Hope wouldn't have mattered to them. But, I don't believe that. I believe that we can choose to be a part of God's plan or not and he will alter his plan whenever we decide to become part of it. Therefore, Hope, in essence is the realization that you are not taking part in God's plan currently and you can give your life to God and benefit from him.

This post has some practical value if you know someone whose root sin is greed. It might be worth talking to them about hope because I think they are the highest at-risk group for suicide.

No comments: