Wednesday, June 15, 2005

My first post

Hi, I'm a software developer starting up my blog. I hope to post here about lots of things: software development, financial matters, books, maybe even politics!

I'm a Myers-Briggs type of INTP. If you haven't looked into Myers-Briggs you really should. It is an interesting way to view people and it really provides quite a bit of insight. For me, the I means that I prefer the world of ideas more than the world of people. The N means that I'm intuitive -- preferring my gut instinct over my sensory input. The T means that I prefer logic to emotion and the P means that I prefer chaos to order. Go find out your Myers-Briggs type at Humanetrics. Once you know your type, go learn more about it and other types at TypeLogic.

My family and I love Disney World. My daughter is only 4 (5 in August!) and she's gone 5 times already! Her favorite park is Animal Kingdom though mine is The Magic Kingdom. I hope to post a lot on this blog about our adventures in Disney World and our upcoming trip to Holiday World.

By the way, you can see pictures of my family at my website.

I write software for a living. I primarily write C++ and perl code. I happen to think I'm pretty good at it, but I know I've a lot to learn as well. Writing code is different things to different people. To me, it is an art form, a science, and even an adventure. There are times when you love every minute and there are times when you wish you never had to look at a computer again. All in all, I think it is a good career and I'm glad I went into it.

I have my Ph.D. from Clemson University and my Bachelor's from Harding University. I enjoyed both schools, though Harding was really too structured for me (remember, I'm a P on the Myers-Briggs test!). Clemson was a great school with an excellent faculty and a beautiful campus. My advisor there was Brian A. Malloy. He was the best advisor anyone could hope for and I owe him a huge debt of gratitude for being so great to me.

Well, thanks for reading a little about me. I hope to see you here again next time!

No comments: