Friday, June 17, 2005

Yesterday (and Prime Obsession)

Yesterday night I went to Memphis with my wife and daughter. My 2 year old son wasn't feeling that well so he stayed with my wife's mom. We went to The Melting Pot. If you've never eaten there you really should. It is a fondue restraunt, and an extremely good (though expensive!) one. My daughter really loves it, this was her second time to go. She loves to cook the food herself, and she especially loves the chocolate fondue.

Both before and after we went shopping for my son's upcoming birthday. I don't know that we found anything worth buying. The whole world of toys has pretty much gone down the drain, especially for two year olds. I just wanted a cuddly Blue doll for him to carry around. Instead you have to buy one that is as hard as a rock because it contains a huge battery box so that Blue can Talk! I don't want Blue to talk. My two year old won't care that Blue can talk. However, if my two year old decides to throw a fit and hit me in the head with Blue, then I want it to be soft. Moreover, what kid wants to sleep with a battery box sticking him in the chest, it needs to be SOFT. Toy companies just don't get it. They think that by adding the most whiz bang features ever, parents will just love it. Well, I for one don't.

Anyway, after a futile search for toys, we stopped off at Barnes and Noble and I picked up a copy of Prime Obsession. It is the story of Bernhard Riemann and his Zeta function. I've only read the first few chapters, but it looks to be very good. I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments: