Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Registry

Yes, I'm coming out of the closet. I like the idea of a registry. I think Linux could benefit from a registry. I'm sick of .stupid files. I don't want to remember the location of httpd.conf or any other configuration file. I want applications to handle that and I just want to go to the registry to look it up. I want a nice, single, application that handles all of my configuration needs. I also want each registry variable commented so I know why it exists and what the valid values are. I want one stop shopping that reduces the cognitive complexity. Oh, and I don't want it to be shared. I should have my own registry and anyone else on the machine should have their own. I want the spirit of .stupid files with the simplicity of the registry. Now - make it so.

No comments: